Friday, April 14, 2006

The trip to Tasmania did me well

Hi MySpace Friends

(I know this post is long overdue, 1st April 2006, but I have been meaning to share it with you for a long time.  Also coming is the trip Toosh and I did 3 weeks later.)

The trip to Tasmania did me well despite the worst weather I have experienced there which lead to the cancellation of the flight to Tasman Is and it’s Tasman Island 100th Birthday Celebration.

We are going back to Tasmania to have another try on the 23rd of April.  Toosh will becoming this time.

Had the bumpiest landing ever when I arrived at the Hobart Airport.  It was blowing a gale and this was a sign of things to come.

Picked up the hire car and headed for the Tasman Peninisula.  First to Sorrell then to historic Richmond.

Arrived at Eaglehawk Neck and eventually found the backpackers.  Quaint, unique with a lot of potential but very run down, and the owner, Terry, is a bit of his own person, so it will stay that way, unfortunately.  Staying at the Lufra instead next time.

Aerial view of Eaglehawk Neck

[Photo: Patrick]


Tesselated Pavement

[Photo: Wiki Media]

Arrived at at Safety Cove helipad but no one there.  Hunt around and checkout the Remarkable Caves.

Remarkable Cave, several hundred metres away from the helipad

[Photo: Og Bear]

Disappointed enthusiasts at departure helipad at Safety Cove

[Photo: Og Bear]

Rang the organisers to find it had been cancelled because of the gale force conditions.  But serious enthuisiasts are meeting at the helipad later anyway so I go and have breakfast and come back to meet them.
Quick tour around the rest of Tasman Peninisula then back to Hobart.

Had a very bad experience years ago having to be rescued by Tasman Bridge workers from the wrong lane.  Deb has never let me off the hook for that one.  Approach with trepidation this time only to find all cars fast leaving my lane on the approach.  I actually stopped the car before going ahead again when I saw their was a green arrow further ahead on my lane!

Hobarts infamous Tasman Bridge

[Photo: the late Mr Rod McGee]

History has shown that you treat this bridge with respect.  In 1975 a ship crashed into one of the piers claiming 12 lives and knocking out a 240 ft section of the bridge.  If you check the photos in the link you will see the closest car hanging is a HQ GTS Holden Monaro.  The owners are from Sorell and though they have had many cars since for some reason they feel they have never been able to sell the Monaro.  They keep it garaged in pristine condition and take it out every Sunday for a drive.
I stayed with friends in Hobart, but all was not well in their house.  I had stayed there several years ago under quite different circumstances.

The next morning I did my dialysis at St Johns Park Hospital.  I have been there before and like going there.

I headed off for Bruny Island.  Had been there for only 2 or 3 hours about 7 years ago so was determined to go back and stay.

Adventure Bay with North Bruny Is in the background

[Photo: Og Bear]

At Adventure Bay with a white kangaroo in the background

[Photo: Og Bear]

I stayed at Adventure Bay.  Very pleasant.  Ocean waves rock me to sleep at night.  Quick swim next morning and white kangaroos which I have never seen before.

This is the sort of place you have to take anything you want or need such as food.  There is no real infrastructure out there at all, even though you are less than a hour away from Hobart!

I dropped down to Cape Bruny at the south end of the Island to see an old friend from the Lighthouse Project days.  It was good to have a cup of tea on his verandah.  Andy and his lady truly live in paradise, and they know it!

The view from below Andy’s house

[Photo: Og Bear]

Looking to Nth Bruny Is then the Tasman Peninsula then the tiny bit is Tasman Is.  So close by sea, but a complete horseshoe and hours by road.

[Photo: Og Bear]

Leaving Bruny Is on the ferry

[Photo: Og Bear]

Headed back to the ferry to go back to my friends in Hobart.  Dialysis the next day.
After dialysis I headed down south again, but landward of Bruny Is.  I have been trying to get down here for 25 years or more, but never seemed to make it.

I went out to the Tahune Airwalk (forgot camera!).  I was a bit cynical and thought it would be expensive, but only $15 and far, far better than I expected.  Beautiful Huon River with huge trees above you.  You really must ponder in amazement.

The Tahune Airwalk

[Photo: Forestry Tasmania]

On the Tahune Airwalk

[Photo: Jenny]

The Huon River and giant trees

[Photo: Baldryk]

Stayed in a backpackers in nearby Geeveston.  It was the height of the fruit picking season and it was full of mainly very amiable Japanese students paying their way around Australia.

It is at this point I must say how disappointing the food was.

My father was a gourmet and we were brought up on good food and wine and taught all about it.  Toosh is amazed by my passion for good food and is quite amused by my reaction to the first taste!

But everywhere I went it was different.  Take away food was luke warm.  Soups were served cold.  At one really nice place I was given the wrong order!  I couldn’t win.I have spoken to others who told me it is best to take your own food and stay in self contained units where you can prepare your own.  I will definitely take their advice next time.  A totally different experience to the north of Tasmania where I have eaten some of the best meals ever.  I actually had the best food day ever up north several years ago in Launceston where breakfast, lunch and dinner were amongst the best meals I have ever eaten.  I declared that I was ready to die as I had had the perfect food day!


Up early and heading south looking for breakfast.  Had and apple and pear on me so they went first.  Cold and hazing, still raining, found a cute little town called Dover.  Went out on the jetty to get a shot of myself and the fishing boats.  Flash card on the camera came up with a format error.  No spare, hope I haven’t lost the ones I have taken.

Pretty little fishing village of Dover

[Photo: Far South Tasmania]

No improvement in food.  I am living on fruit now.  From here I head south through beautiful farmland mixed mountain country coming right down to the sea.
Eventually end up in Recherche Bay (Cockle Creek).  As far south as you can go by car in Australia.  Could have stayed there for days.  Half of Australia was nearly French.  The British would only head them off by days to get to places and raise the flags, but a lot of the French names remain from their early explorers.

As much as I wanted to stay I headed back up the road and turned off for Hasting Caves and Thermal Springs.  Still pouring down. Bought my tickets and had a light lunch at the springs.  Almost.

The cave was fairly unique with masses of karst activity

[Photo: Tracy Hohnke]

The caves were quite different to what I had seen, with heaps of karst activity.  Took the waters in the thermal pool.  Despite being 28 degrees it was still pouring down so I only stayed in for about 20 minutes.
I headed back towards Hobart stopping at the Wooden Boat Centre at Franklin.  Everyone said I must go there and a friend actually wants to go there to learn how to make wooden boats.

Wooden Boat Centre at Franklin

[Photo: Wooden Boat Centre]

(Just a note.  Franklin is named after Franklin of the North West Passage who was governor of Tasmania.  My grandmother on my mother’s side was a Franklin and I am believed to be his nephew with quite a few generations stuck between.)

I had been feeling bad about staying with my friends after that first night.  I felt it would be better to be out of their way, so I rang them and told them I was staying in the Huon Valley that night and would go straight to the airport in the morning.

It was a bit of a white lie but I got the feeling that they were not unhappy with my decision.  I stayed at Kingston Beach, a beachside suburb over the mountains at the back of Hobart, that I had discovered on the way to Bruny Island several days earlier.

Kingston Beach

[Photo: Grant Williamson]

It is amazing, this place is only 15 minutes from North Hobart’s restaurant district.  A good curry, but too much to eat, then up the road for coffee and tuitti fruiti flan.

Next day was too blowy for a morning swim so into town, North Hobart again for breakfast then out to the airport.  Manage to get over the Tasman Bridge in the correct lanes this time Deb!

So, that’s it.  Back to try again in 3 weeks, with Toosh.  Wish us luck.

Regards OgBear

For more photos go to:
http://picasaweb.google.com/OgBear/TasmanianTrips2006#

For a slideshow go to:
https://picasaweb.google.com/OgBear/TasmanianTrips2006#slideshow/

No comments:

Post a Comment